Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Depotting Eyeshadow Flame and Oven Method

Ok so I have to admit I really need the space in my makeup collection so I did some major depotting. In a way it feels like I'm breaking up my makeup family somehow at the same time lol. I researched ways to depot and found a few different options flame method, oven method and flat iron method. I used the oven and flame method, I did attempt the flat iron method but it didn't seem to get hot enough to do much.

Flame method- Probably the most popular method of depotting eyeshadow, works fast but the smell from the melting plastic is pretty bad. I cover my face with the shirt I'm wearing and it helps.

*Tools needed:
-Candle
-Lighter
-Pliers
-Thumb tack or pin
-Something to put the depotted eyeshadows on to let them cool.


I recommend doing this outside or in an open area, open windows and turn on a fan. Some people just hold a lighter underneath what they are wanting to depot but the lighter can heat up quick, I use a candle. The easiest way to do this is try to remove any stickers or labels because these can catch fire. Get something to sit the candle on to catch the dripping wax, hold the item you are wanting to depot in the pliers and hold it directly over the flame. Make sure the flame is touching the bottom of the item you are depotting, the plastic will begin to melt but shouldn't drip. Keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't catch fire, this has happened to me a few times but I just blow out the flame. It only takes about 20-30 seconds so make sure you don't hold it over the flame for too long. After the bottom has begun to melt take your item still holding it with pliers, and put it over the plate or paper towel and stick the thumb tack through the bottom. The product should come out smoothly, if it doesn't you may need to put it back over the flame for a bit longer.





Oven Method- A good way to depot many eyeshadows at once such as a palette.

*Tools Needed:
-Flat cookie sheet pan
-Wax paper
-Oven mitt
-Thumb tack or pin

Pre heat your oven to 250 degrees, line your flat cookie sheet pan with wax paper and put the products you are wanting to depot on the cookie sheet. This is something that times will vary on, keep an eye on it and when you see the plastic starting to warp a little take it out and try to poke underneath with a thumb tack to see if it's soft enough to push through. If it isn't put it back in the oven for a little longer.


Note- When is comes to cream products using both of these methods will of course melt them. If you can scrape out the cream based products before you depot anything if they are in the same palette to avoid them spilling onto your powder products. After you finish the depotting process you will want to remove any remaining glue residue from the bottom of the pan of the product you depotted. The best way to do this is to use rubbing alcohol or acetone. When you get ready to put these in a palette you can either glue them in for a permanent palette, or buy a magnetic palette such as a z palette and buy either magnetic tape or sheet metal both found in craft stores.

                                               Here is the end result, ready for a z palette!
 Something else I decided to make with some of my e.l.f depotted eyeshadows was my own little version of urban decay's smoked palette.
Have you depotted anything lately? What method did you use?


No comments:

Post a Comment